26
Wed, Sep
7 New Articles

School Feeding ‘chop-chop’: DCE, NDC activists in GH¢229,341 fraud

General News

A group of ‘Concerned Assembly Members’ in the Upper East Region is angry over alleged massive corruption uncovered in respect of the School Feeding Programme in the Garu-Tempane District.

A group of ‘Concerned Assembly Members’ in the Upper East Region is angry over alleged massive corruption uncovered in respect of the School Feeding Programme in the Garu-Tempane District.

 

The group says it has intercepted documents pointing to the fact that the programme has been drowned in corruption, resulting in an amount of GH¢229,341.40 allegedly being paid to two caterers for no work done.

According to the group, the well-schemed plan, ostensibly to dupe the state, is being perpetrated with the connivance of the District Chief Executive for the area, Albert Akoka Alalzuuga.

The alleged scam involves using schools which were not beneficiaries of the School Feeding Programme. The schools include Nisbuliga D/A Primary, Worikambo D/A Primary, Azuguri D/A Primary, Abilatega D/A Primary and Wukuan D/A Primary.

Leader of the group, Bampil Badeabo Moses, interacting with the media last Wednesday, mentioned the names of the two caterers as Paulina Atigah and Gladys Fumira Laar.

The known activists of the governing NDC have had been paid consistently for the past 16 months for services they had not rendered, according to the group.

Bampil Badeado disclosed that one of the caterers, Atigah Paulina, had unscrupulously benefitted from an amount of GH¢149,121.00, through an E-zwich account number 1009003225, whilst the other caterer, Gladys Fumira, was also paid GH¢76,425.40 through an E-zwich account number 1009002868, both for no work done.

Mr. Bampil, who is the Assemblyman for the Denugu Electoral Area, added: “These were payments made to cover the total of two hundred and thirty-seven cooking days with differences in enrollment figures for the five schools. We suspect that actual payments started much earlier than our intercepted documents indicate.”

He was quick to add that the group believed the caterers might have received more than 2 billion through their fraudulent activities.

The group, in the middle of June, this year, reportedly wrote a letter to the Garu-Tempane District Assembly, raising questions about the implementation of the school feeding programme in the area.

It received a feedback from the Assembly that they had already undertaken a monitoring exercise with the District Implementation Committee and the School Implementation Committee to address the issues raised by the group.

The group said even though the DCE had stated that an amount of Gh¢190,447.88 and Gh¢233,000.00 had been retrieved as at March 2015, which had been paid back to the GSFP through the assembly’s GCB cheque No. 002042 on March 17, 2015, and GCB cheque No. 002314 on November 9, 2015, they were not convinced and, have subsequently ask for further investigations to be conducted into the matter.

“There has been collusion, fraud, injustice and criminality between the staff of the Ghana School Feeding Programme, the District Chief Executive of the Garu Tempane and the two caterers mentioned as having been engaged to provide ghost catering services to pupils of these schools mentioned,” the group stressed.

It therefore called on President John Dramani Mahama, the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development, the Ministry of Gender, Children and Social Protection as well as the Bureau of National Investigations and the GSFP to look into the matter.